data-mm-id=”_83bqxydto”>The Bryce Young era in Carolina appears to be over just two games into his second season as Panthers starting quarterback, after first-year head coach Dave Canales benched the 2023 No. 1 overall pick in favor of journeyman Andy Dalton on Monday.Canales said he reached the decision after watching tape of the team's latest loss — a 26-3 home defeat to the Los Angeles Chargers that dropped Carolina to 0-2. He consulted "with guys that we make decisions with" and made the call to switch QBs because his "No. 1 responsibility is to help the Panthers win."RELATED: Malik Willis gave a very gross but honest explanation for not throwing a pass"And so this move, I believe, puts us in the best chance to do that this week," Canales said.Dave Canales declines to say what role David Tepper had in the Bryce Young decision. pic.twitter.com/NR92UujGe4— Joe Person (@josephperson) September 16, 2024This is not a temporary reprieve for Young, either. Canales isn't saving Young from another beatdown this Sunday against Maxx Crosby and the Las Vegas Raiders. Young's demotion seems permanent, probably in order to stem growing dissent within the locker room.David Canales was asked a few times if this might be more of a break for Bryce Young. He never framed it that way.— Joe Person (@josephperson) September 16, 2024Now that Canales has taken action to address the NFL's worst offense, what are the plans to fix a Carolina defense that's allowed 73 points, the most in the league after two games?A QB change is the best way to publicly show that a bad situation is being addressed. However, benching Young plugs one hole — temporarily — while the leaky Panthers ship sinks from other untreated trouble spots.Carolina has the NFL's second-worst rushing defense, yielding 199.5 yards per game. On Sunday, Jim Harbaugh had the Chargers run all over the Panthers for 219 yards on 44 carries.Said nose guard Shy Tuttle: "It's not a good feeling (when) a team runs the ball for 200 yards on you."It's also not great when you surrender two touchdown passes to Quentin Johnston, who caught only two TDs last year as a rookie.Still, Carolina's biggest problems are on offense. According to NFL's Next Gen Stats, the offensive line provided Young with just 2.25 seconds to throw against a Chargers pass rush that's averaging 2.47 seconds. Also, it's not like he's been surrounded by elite playmakers, unless you share the front office's high opinions of Diontae Johnson, Adam Thielen, Chuba Hubbard and Ian Thomas (he's the tight end).Panthers roster is in rough shape. They are years away from being good/competitive. Derrick Brown is a stud (he's out with injury). There's not a single other player that scares you on either side of the ball. They desperately need difference makers.— Daniel Jeremiah (@MoveTheSticks) September 16, 2024Sunday's loss was the 16th of Young's career in 18 career NFL starts, but his failure was predetermined by being drafted by a franchise that's been flailing ever since Dave Tepper bought it in 2018. The Panthers are 31-70 and have missed the playoffs every year under Tepper. Plus Tepper selected Young despite his football operations staff's preference for C.J. Stroud.Thielen, who couldn't hide his frustrations with Young Sunday after not getting the ball despite being wide open on one play, admitted the need to "change what's happening," but he couched that statement by saying, "This is an offensive team issue."The veteran wide receiver is wrong. It's a Carolina Panthers problem from top to bottom. And there's no immediate solution in sight.MORE TOP STORIES FROM THE BIG LEADNFL: Jerry’s reaction to the latest Cowboys’ meltdownNFL: Malik Willis said what?!CFB: Florida State making the wrong kind of historyWNBA: Another record-setting performance from Caitlin Clark
Related Posts
Coach Graham Arnold believes Central Coast Mariners can bounce back from their A-League exit last Saturday by beating Seongnam Ilhwa Chunma on Wednesday night.
The Mariners will meet their AFC Champions League rivals at the Tancheon Sports Complex in Seongnam, and Arnold believes that despite the Korean s strong home record in Asia s premier club competition, his team is well positioned to win the crucial Group G clash.
Indeed, Seongnam have not lost at their 16,000 all-seater stadium in the AFC Champions League since 2004, when they were crushed 5-0 by Saudi side Al Ittihad in the second leg of that season s final.
And, Shin Tae-yong s charges can take pride in the fact they have triumphed in 10 of their last 12 home matches in the competition.
But Arno…
Uruguay coach Oscar Tabarez says he is excited by the prospect of being drawn alongside host nation Great Britain at the London Olympics.
Uruguay, whose senior team made the semi-finals of the World Cup in 2010 one year before lifting their 15th Copa America with victory over Paraguay, will face the hosts, Senegal and the United Arab Emirates in Group A of the competition.
They will kick off their campaign with a game against the UAE at Old Trafford on June 26. Three days later Wembley will be the venue for Uruguay s meeting with Senegal, before they end the first round with a clash against Stuart Pearce s Team GB at Cardiff s Millennium Stadium.
Speaking on Wednesday, Tabarez expressed his joy at playing in England s most famous stadiums, and said his young sta…
Graham Potter sees Chelsea s 1-0 win over Leeds United as something to build on ahead of a massive Champions League clash with Borussia Dortmund.
Wesley Fofana s first Premier League goal eased the pressure on head coach Potter following a miserable run of one win in 11 matches.
Chelsea had suffered three consecutive defeats without scoring a goal before stopping the rot against relegation-threatened Leeds at Stamford Bridge on Saturday.
The Blues face Dortmund at home in the Champions League on Tuesday, needing to overturn a 1-0 deficit in order to reach the quarter-finals.
Potter hopes a much-needed win over lowly Leeds will just be the start.
He told BBC Sport: I m delighted for the players and supporters. We ve had to suffer. It s been a chall…
Antonio Conte believes that winning the double this season would prove that Juventus Serie A triumph last season was no coincidence.
The club were crowned Italian champions without losing a match in 2011-12, but the 43-year-old is determined to show that his side are creating a lasting legacy.
Winning the Scudetto can be a one-off, but doing the double means that we are building something truly important here, he told reporters.
The Champions League is also a wonderful dream that we should keep chasing. However, we must also know how to be patient and focus on our project of growth.
Juventus host Sampdoria on Sunday as they return to domestic action, and the former Siena boss urged his side to remain alert and prepare for the game properly.
T…
Jose Mourinho told his Tottenham side to get angry after being left disappointed by the reaction in the dressing room to Wednesday s defeat at Manchester United.
The Portuguese s first return to Old Trafford as a coach since being sacked by the Red Devils a year ago ended in disappointment as Marcus Rashford s double either side of Dele Alli s equaliser condemned him to a first defeat since taking the reins at Tottenham.
After the game, Mourinho described the atmosphere among the Spurs squad as sad , and he wants to see a different response from the team when they suffer setbacks.
I saw a sad dressing room, a sad bus and a sad plane, and that s not what I like after a defeat, he said on Friday.
I think after a defeat you can t be sad. You have to be mor…
Atletico Madrid boss Diego Simeone is not afraid to lose striker Antoine Griezmann to Barcelona at the end of the season.
The 28-year-old s future at the Wanda Metropolitano has been the subject of much speculation over the past 12 months.
Griezmann rejected a move to Barca ahead of 2018-19, but rumours recently emerged suggesting he could be on his way out of the Spanish capital, despite having four seasons to run on the contract extension signed last year.
But Simeone has calmed fears that the Frenchman, who has scored 15 LaLiga goals this term, is angling for a move away.
Un lugar donde empezo todo
— Antoine Griezmann (@AntoGriezmann)
Since the subject of Griezmann going to Barcelona started to pop up in the media, I always said t…
Genoa have completed the loan signing of Spartak Moscow midfielder Tino Costa with a view to a permanent move.
The 29-year-old Argentine is reportedly set to spend 18 months at Stadio Luigi Ferraris and Genoa have the option of signing him on a permanent basis.
Costa joined Spartak from Valencia in June 2013 and has scored three goals in 35 appearances for the Russian club.
The former Montpellier man will now get his first experience of Italian football for a Genoa side who occupy sixth place in Serie A.
A statement on Genoa s official website said: Genoa announces that it has acquired from FC Spartak Moscow on a temporary basis with an option to acquire all, the right to benefits of the midfielder Tino Costa.
Costa could make his debut in…
Former-Tottenham striker Jermain Defoe looks set to move to Sunderland from Toronto FC
According to , former-England striker Jermain Defoe has passed a medical ahead of a move back to the Premier League with Sunderland.
The 32-year-old is currently contracted to MLS franchise Toronto FC, who could be signing USA international striker Jozy Altidore in a straight deal.
Complicated
The deal could be a complicated one though, as MLS has an allocation system, which means USA Internationals must be offered to the top teams in allocation order and Toronto are currently sixth on the allocation list.
However, there was an exception in 2013 when USA international Clint Dempsey joined Seattle Sounders, despite the Sounders not being top of the allocation or…
UEFA has hit Fenerbahce with a partial stadium closure after fans chanted the name of Russian president Vladimir Putin during a Champions League qualifier against Ukraine s Dynamo Kyiv.
Russia invaded Ukraine in February and the war has caused thousands of deaths while millions have been displaced.
The chanting started after Oleksandr Karavayev scored what ended up being the winner for the Ukrainian side in the tie s second leg in Istanbul as they ran out 2-1 victors on aggregate.
It led to Dynamo boss Mircea Lucescu boycotting the post-match news conference, and UEFA has now sanctioned the Turkish club for the behaviour of their fans.
The club have been fined €50,000, while a partial closure of at least 5,000 seats has been ordered for Fenerbahce s …
´Now we all know he can run´ – No hiding for Bale after stunning solo goal, says LAFC boss Cherundol
Los Angeles FC coach Steve Cherundolo said there can be no more hiding for Gareth Bale after the former Real Madrid star proved his quality against Real Salt Lake.
Bale scored his second MLS goal since moving to LAFC when he made it 4-1 in Utah late on during Saturday s match.
The 33-year-old, who had replaced Carlos Vela in the 64th minute, surged from inside his own half before skipping down the right flank, taking on a batch of defenders and drilling home to cap a fifth straight MLS win over RSL for LAFC.
All four of Bale s MLS appearances so far have come from the bench, with the Wales forward playing just 96 minutes in total, but Cherundolo hinted that now has to change.
It s a great moment for Gareth, and for the team, he s a well-liked guy in the…