data-mm-id=”_twfqry0ph”>Nearly two months have passed since Rudy Gobert's positive test for COVID-19 essentially shut down the NBA. March 11th was the last time Kevin Huerter and the Atlanta Hawks took the floor for an NBA game. "Travis [Schlenk] had been telling us once one team gets shut down, everybody gets shut down," Huerter told The Big Lead. The Hawks learned of Gobert's positive test during halftime of the Knicks game and knew that meant the season would likely be on hold by the end of the game. Afterwards, the team was informed by Schlenk and team owner Tony Ressler that they should not come into the team facility for the next two days. After that, there were informal workouts allowed that weekend that the entire team showed up to, but come Monday, their practice facility was officially shut down. In the meantime, Huerter stayed in Atlanta for a week to see if the facility would reopen. But as the days passed and no timetable was given for a return, he decided to fly home to Albany, New York, to stay at his parents' house. "I put on masks, I put on gloves, and I was one of maybe twenty people on my flight up to Albany," he said. Huerter hadn't stayed at the house for an extended time in four years after his two years at University of Maryland and a season and a half of NBA life. Right now, even his car is in Atlanta, so if he needs a ride, he has to drive one of his parent's cars. Living back at home is a weird feeling, but he is happy with the situation. "I know that it's best for me," Huerter said. "I have a lot of equipment here just growing up with it and having here things that I know can get good workouts in." The 6'7" sharpshooter sticks to a fixed routine of working out in the mornings around 10:30, FaceTiming the Hawks' strength coaches. In the afternoon, he will do his basketball work on the driveway. "I put myself through a lot of the same stuff we do with the Hawks," he said. As expected, Huerter recreates shooting drills to get his shots in, but also wants to make sure his conditioning remains in top shape. "I'm trying to move around a lot," he said. "I still have a routine. I'm still getting a lot of shots up, and getting into a lot of ball-handling stuff too."Kevin Huerter tells me he works out every morning at 10:30 and FaceTimes the Atlanta Hawks strength coaches. At 5 PM he then does basketball work in the driveway. All at his parents house in New York. pic.twitter.com/SXG8bwXAeh— Ben Stinar (@BenStinar) May 1, 2020Like many of us, he's trying to find ways to be productive outside of work. Instead of just playing video games or watching Netflix, he is using his time wisely. "I'm a part of an investment group that is building a facility in my hometown of Clifton Park," he said. "We're hoping to break ground this summer. It's supposed to be up by next summer." The project will be a place that he can put on basketball camps, use for his AAU teams, and eventually the home of the charitable foundation he's working towards creating. "It'll be six high school courts, around ten volleyball courts, it'll have the makings to do three college or NBA courts going the different way, a full weight room. It'll be a big facility, so we're trying to get that off the ground."As for the season, he played in 56 games, averaging 12.2 points, 4.1 rebounds, and 3.8 assists per game. The Hawks came into the season excited about their young core and what they can do. However, a rash of injuries and a 25-game suspension to John Collins made the year a lot different than anticipated. "It was a very up and down year," he said. "It's not a complete negative. I think there's a lot of good takeaways. I think a lot of areas that we did improve and a lot of guys got better individually over the course of the year."While the season was not one they had hoped for, next season's optimism is even brighter."We have a clear direction this year now," he said. "I think we know at least the group of guys that we're hopefully going to move forward with and try to put together winning seasons and make playoffs and do things of that nature."In regards to his own development, Huerter had to deal with a shoulder injury that kept him out of a large string of games. During a November 12 matchup in Denver against the Nuggets, he exited early with the shoulder injury and did not return until December 4. The injury was delicate because he felt like he could play two weeks even before he was allowed to return. Contact can reinjure the shoulder. On December 15, at home against the Lakers, he re-aggravated the injury."It was definitely bothering me for a good month even after I got back," said Huerter. "It wasn't completely right and it's getting there. Shoulder injuries are kind of tough to get back from because there's so many small muscle groups you have to figure out."Even with the injury and the team's ups and downs, he still had a productive campaign. He was shooting 38 percent from three-point range, 83 percent from the free-throw line, and improved as a playmaker. He also hit a game-winning three-pointer against the Spurs to give the Hawks their first win in San Antonio since 1997. Kevin Huerter with a BIG time bucket! ?#Crunchtime pic.twitter.com/uI9Hb3efZ9— NBA TV (@NBATV) January 18, 2020Yet, he is still looking to improve all aspects of his game and advance his above-average three-point shooting to elite levels. "38 [percent] is not something I'm upset by," he said. One of my goals [is] 40 [percent] every year. That's something that's achievable for me."The Hawks are a high-powered offense that lets him not only shoot the ball but make plays for others. Coach Lloyd Pierce has played him in a backup point guard role and facilitator role, putting the ball in his hands to make everyone else better. Huerter had 18 games in which he tallied five or more assists this season. "I think my game will develop as our team-wide game goes," he said. "Getting different guys involved and moving the ball around and our offense as a whole and the small lineups we use of just being tough to guard and having all five guys on the court who can make plays."
Related Posts
Coach Graham Arnold believes Central Coast Mariners can bounce back from their A-League exit last Saturday by beating Seongnam Ilhwa Chunma on Wednesday night.
The Mariners will meet their AFC Champions League rivals at the Tancheon Sports Complex in Seongnam, and Arnold believes that despite the Korean s strong home record in Asia s premier club competition, his team is well positioned to win the crucial Group G clash.
Indeed, Seongnam have not lost at their 16,000 all-seater stadium in the AFC Champions League since 2004, when they were crushed 5-0 by Saudi side Al Ittihad in the second leg of that season s final.
And, Shin Tae-yong s charges can take pride in the fact they have triumphed in 10 of their last 12 home matches in the competition.
But Arno…
Uruguay coach Oscar Tabarez says he is excited by the prospect of being drawn alongside host nation Great Britain at the London Olympics.
Uruguay, whose senior team made the semi-finals of the World Cup in 2010 one year before lifting their 15th Copa America with victory over Paraguay, will face the hosts, Senegal and the United Arab Emirates in Group A of the competition.
They will kick off their campaign with a game against the UAE at Old Trafford on June 26. Three days later Wembley will be the venue for Uruguay s meeting with Senegal, before they end the first round with a clash against Stuart Pearce s Team GB at Cardiff s Millennium Stadium.
Speaking on Wednesday, Tabarez expressed his joy at playing in England s most famous stadiums, and said his young sta…
Graham Potter sees Chelsea s 1-0 win over Leeds United as something to build on ahead of a massive Champions League clash with Borussia Dortmund.
Wesley Fofana s first Premier League goal eased the pressure on head coach Potter following a miserable run of one win in 11 matches.
Chelsea had suffered three consecutive defeats without scoring a goal before stopping the rot against relegation-threatened Leeds at Stamford Bridge on Saturday.
The Blues face Dortmund at home in the Champions League on Tuesday, needing to overturn a 1-0 deficit in order to reach the quarter-finals.
Potter hopes a much-needed win over lowly Leeds will just be the start.
He told BBC Sport: I m delighted for the players and supporters. We ve had to suffer. It s been a chall…
Antonio Conte believes that winning the double this season would prove that Juventus Serie A triumph last season was no coincidence.
The club were crowned Italian champions without losing a match in 2011-12, but the 43-year-old is determined to show that his side are creating a lasting legacy.
Winning the Scudetto can be a one-off, but doing the double means that we are building something truly important here, he told reporters.
The Champions League is also a wonderful dream that we should keep chasing. However, we must also know how to be patient and focus on our project of growth.
Juventus host Sampdoria on Sunday as they return to domestic action, and the former Siena boss urged his side to remain alert and prepare for the game properly.
T…
Jose Mourinho told his Tottenham side to get angry after being left disappointed by the reaction in the dressing room to Wednesday s defeat at Manchester United.
The Portuguese s first return to Old Trafford as a coach since being sacked by the Red Devils a year ago ended in disappointment as Marcus Rashford s double either side of Dele Alli s equaliser condemned him to a first defeat since taking the reins at Tottenham.
After the game, Mourinho described the atmosphere among the Spurs squad as sad , and he wants to see a different response from the team when they suffer setbacks.
I saw a sad dressing room, a sad bus and a sad plane, and that s not what I like after a defeat, he said on Friday.
I think after a defeat you can t be sad. You have to be mor…
Atletico Madrid boss Diego Simeone is not afraid to lose striker Antoine Griezmann to Barcelona at the end of the season.
The 28-year-old s future at the Wanda Metropolitano has been the subject of much speculation over the past 12 months.
Griezmann rejected a move to Barca ahead of 2018-19, but rumours recently emerged suggesting he could be on his way out of the Spanish capital, despite having four seasons to run on the contract extension signed last year.
But Simeone has calmed fears that the Frenchman, who has scored 15 LaLiga goals this term, is angling for a move away.
Un lugar donde empezo todo
— Antoine Griezmann (@AntoGriezmann)
Since the subject of Griezmann going to Barcelona started to pop up in the media, I always said t…
Genoa have completed the loan signing of Spartak Moscow midfielder Tino Costa with a view to a permanent move.
The 29-year-old Argentine is reportedly set to spend 18 months at Stadio Luigi Ferraris and Genoa have the option of signing him on a permanent basis.
Costa joined Spartak from Valencia in June 2013 and has scored three goals in 35 appearances for the Russian club.
The former Montpellier man will now get his first experience of Italian football for a Genoa side who occupy sixth place in Serie A.
A statement on Genoa s official website said: Genoa announces that it has acquired from FC Spartak Moscow on a temporary basis with an option to acquire all, the right to benefits of the midfielder Tino Costa.
Costa could make his debut in…
Former-Tottenham striker Jermain Defoe looks set to move to Sunderland from Toronto FC
According to , former-England striker Jermain Defoe has passed a medical ahead of a move back to the Premier League with Sunderland.
The 32-year-old is currently contracted to MLS franchise Toronto FC, who could be signing USA international striker Jozy Altidore in a straight deal.
Complicated
The deal could be a complicated one though, as MLS has an allocation system, which means USA Internationals must be offered to the top teams in allocation order and Toronto are currently sixth on the allocation list.
However, there was an exception in 2013 when USA international Clint Dempsey joined Seattle Sounders, despite the Sounders not being top of the allocation or…
UEFA has hit Fenerbahce with a partial stadium closure after fans chanted the name of Russian president Vladimir Putin during a Champions League qualifier against Ukraine s Dynamo Kyiv.
Russia invaded Ukraine in February and the war has caused thousands of deaths while millions have been displaced.
The chanting started after Oleksandr Karavayev scored what ended up being the winner for the Ukrainian side in the tie s second leg in Istanbul as they ran out 2-1 victors on aggregate.
It led to Dynamo boss Mircea Lucescu boycotting the post-match news conference, and UEFA has now sanctioned the Turkish club for the behaviour of their fans.
The club have been fined €50,000, while a partial closure of at least 5,000 seats has been ordered for Fenerbahce s …
´Now we all know he can run´ – No hiding for Bale after stunning solo goal, says LAFC boss Cherundol
Los Angeles FC coach Steve Cherundolo said there can be no more hiding for Gareth Bale after the former Real Madrid star proved his quality against Real Salt Lake.
Bale scored his second MLS goal since moving to LAFC when he made it 4-1 in Utah late on during Saturday s match.
The 33-year-old, who had replaced Carlos Vela in the 64th minute, surged from inside his own half before skipping down the right flank, taking on a batch of defenders and drilling home to cap a fifth straight MLS win over RSL for LAFC.
All four of Bale s MLS appearances so far have come from the bench, with the Wales forward playing just 96 minutes in total, but Cherundolo hinted that now has to change.
It s a great moment for Gareth, and for the team, he s a well-liked guy in the…